CLEP GuidesAmerican Government Biology College Mathematics General CLEP General Tips Human Growth And Development Humanities Introductory Psychology Principles Of Marketing Sociology US History 1 US History 2
Benefits of CLEP* Exams
The benefits of a college education degree can be yours faster and for less money if you successfully take on and pass some College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) exams. Earning a qualifying score on a CLEP test allows you to earn college credit for a course without actually having to spend time and money to enrol in and complete it. It gives you the chance to receive credit for things you already know – things you learned through on-the-job training, internships, or even personal courses of study.
The many different benefits of CLEP exams are why they are such a popular alternative for many of today’s college students who don’t want to waste time taking unnecessary courses.
Here are the top 7 benefits of CLEP exams:
1. Save money
The cost of taking a CLEP exam is $77, plus an administration fee of around $15 to $20. This means that you can get full credits for a college course for only $92 to $97 – just over $30 a credit for a three-credit course, or $16 a credit for six-credit course!
Compare these costs to the per credit fee you would be paying at a college or university – which can range anywhere from $100 to $300 per credit. Add to this the amount you’ll save on other tuition fees and expensive course materials, and the savings become even more attractive. Taking five six-credit general courses will cost you $460-$582, and save you the cost of a semester’s worth of room and board (if you live on campus), parking and transportation fees, and more.
If you’re part of the military or are a veteran, you can even take CLEP exams for free.
2. Save time
Students that earn college credit through CLEP exams can often graduate in three years instead of four, or finish an entire semester early. That’s an extra year or semester you can spend earning the higher salary you can command with your new college degree.
3. Graduate on time
Even if uncontrollable events force you take a semester off school, you may be able to use the CLEP exams to get the last few credits you need to graduate with the rest of your class and earn your degree at the time you planned on. Just check and see if there are courses you are eligible to take exams for that will fill in the gaps in your graduation requirements.
4. Take on Less-Stressful Course Loads
Skipping a few introductory courses with the help of CLEP exams will let you take on lighter course loads so you can feel less stressed during your college years.
5. Take Higher-Level Courses Faster
You can also jump straight ahead to higher-level courses if you are able to pass the necessary CLEP exams to meet your lower-level requirements. This way, you won’t need to waste time re-learning material when you could be spending that same time learning new things.
6. Free Up Your Schedule
Using the CLEP exams to get credit for introductory courses will give you time in your schedule to sign up for the courses you actually want to take – the ones you don’t need to meet your graduation requirements, but are interested in taking anyway. This benefit of CLEP exams will make your time in college a more enjoyable experience.
7. Determine Your Readiness For Classes
Taking a CLEP exam will show you how much you actually know about a subject. You might think you’re ready to skip ahead to more advanced classes but learn that you don’t know as much about the subject as you thought.
The best way to avoid situations like this is to go over some of our free study guides and read up on sections you need to refresh your mind on. They’ll prepare you so you really are set to move on to more complex content.
Who Can Take Advantage of the Benefits of CLEP?
No matter what your age or background, you can benefit from the CLEP exams. A key advantage of CLEP is that it sets no limitations on the age or academic history of its participants.
People of any age range and academic background can easily earn credits through CLEP exams.
Some of the groups that can best take advantage of CLEP tests include (but are by no means limited to) the following:
- Students who want to save time and money
- Home schooled students who have studied beyond the high school curriculum and would prefer to skip classes unnecessary for their knowledge level
- Freshman or sophomore level students who want to bypass classes required for graduation but are unrelated to their major field of study
- Transfer students who have completed course work at another college but can’t transfer them to their new school and don’t want to take the course again
- People with busy schedules
- International students
- People completing double degrees
- Military and or veteran personnel who have gone through training or programs equivalent to a college course
- People who have a good knowledge in areas covered by CLEP and want to advance their education and career
- People who fluently speak a foreign language and want to earn college credit for this skill without sitting through beginner language courses.
- Working adults who have enough knowledge of particular subjects from spending years learning it on the job
If you fall into one of these groups or find one of the many benefits of CLEP exams calling out to you, take advantage of our free CLEP study guides, and start getting ahead today!